Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Numbers and more numbers

It's been awhile since I've blogged so I thought I would just give an update of what I'm currently doing.

Step one: It is the mid-semester break and I'm getting started on data gathering. I have gathered data on Auckland's ethnic groups in each suburb (thanks Statistics NZ). Am now in the process of gathering in excel all the restaurants. I am compiling a list of restaurants and cafes by ethnicity and location and a name to identify so that I don't double count.

Next step: to group the restaurants and graphically locate on an Auckland map along with the Statistics NZ data.

MVRDV's project on Metacity Datatown is a great resource. I like the idea of creating a landscape from the data for maximum impact. This is what I want to do for the exhibit, create a data landscape...so projections will be needed. I'm not sure graphically how it is going to turn out but that is my intention. To graphically show as a landscape how culturally mixed, (or not) is Auckland through food retail.

No comments: